b-hebrew - Re: Conversion of OTA BHS text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John Richards" <jhr AT universalist.worldonline.co.uk>
  • To: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Conversion of OTA BHS text
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:55:00 -0000

From: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>

> > Unless I went throught it at the last stage before the
> > conversion to Right to Left, there were always approx. 50 lines
> > indicated by the L2R process as being over 150 characters long, and
> > resulting in a garbled line in the final text (words in the wrong
> > order, or even omitted completely).
>
> Maybe there is a bug then. I wrote a quick Awk script that estimates
> the length of each verse in the original unprocessed BHS e-text; here
> are the hundred longest verses (if these verses show up among the
> problematic ones, then the SIL software may have a bug, and if these
> verses _don't_ show up among the problematic ones, then I would think
> that it's even more likely that the SIL software has a bug -- unless
> it's the first verse of each book or the last verse of each book which
> is erroneous or something like that, in which case it would obviously
> be an incompatibility between CCAT and OTA tildecodes which would be
> causing the problem...)
>

> 530 DANIEL 5:23
> 519 ESTHER 8:9
> . . . . .

There seems to be no correlation between the long lines you identify
in the original text and the long lines that confuse the CC program
in the .DE file produced by the SE2DE.CCT file - or, to be more
accurate, which are there after SE2DE.CCT has done its work.
They may well be there from before. I have not checked that.
It would be revealing to run the CCT files on the CCAT version.
If that produced no errors then it is a question of either an
incompatibility between the SIL CCT files and the OTA text
(altho' they are explicitly described as intended for conversion
of the OTA text) or errors in the OTA text itself.

I must have a look at this CONVBHS.COM file you refer to.

John Richards