b-hebrew - FW: Conversion of OTA BHS text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: FW: Conversion of OTA BHS text
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:43:02 -0500

This is a follow up to what I wrote yesterday...

I spoke to one of the SIL people responsible for the SIL Hebrew Font System
(available from www.sil.org). This person thought that it was against the
OTA etc copyright rules for anyone to redistribute the OTA BHS text. We
agreed that the situation is far from clear. So I would like to make it
clear that we in SIL are in no way promoting or recommending redistribution
of this text. If anyone does so, it is on their own responsibility and based
on their own understanding of the OTA rules. As long as this is understood,
there is no problem that the SIL conversion programs have been used.

I have now found a way in which the fully cantillated BHS text, using the
SIL Ezra fonts, is publicly available. A company called iexalt is now
selling a package developed by SIL called BART, Biblical Analysis and
Research Tool. This was being advertised as the only product offering the
fully cantillated Hebrew text, but we have just heard that another package
now offers this, I think the name is Bible Windows. For more details of
BART, see http://www.wordsearchbible.com/GrHeb.htm#Biblical Analysis and
Research Tools (BART). I will post details of this separately for those not
following this thread.

Peter` Kirk