b-hebrew - Re: Conversion of OTA BHS text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Conversion of OTA BHS text
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 21:31:05 -0600 (CST)

> From: "John Richards" <jhr AT universalist.worldonline.co.uk>

> This can be most easily done perhaps in a word processor by using
> the Special Paragraph symbols to be found in the Find and Replace
> feature of all word processors. It is just as well to remove the
> introductory OTA text before the first ~c of the actual Hebrew text
> at the same time. [...] Preparation of the BHS text There are a
> few faulty long lines in the resultant text, due, it would seem, to
> the omission of line breaks in the OTA text. Most people will
> probably also want to insert meaningful English Book Headings. This
> can be done very easily with a word processor.

I would actually be very hesitant about doing anything at all to the
text in a word-processor (except for cosmetic beautification after the
very last stage of processing) -- unless you know in advance that your
word processor is an absolutely cast-iron-solid industrial-strength
plain-ASCII text-editor (something which I strongly doubt that
Microsoft Word is). Your efforts would probably be better spent in
ensuring that you download the text as a straight raw binary download
in the first place.

The original form of the OTA BHS text as contained in the archive
http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/bigpersonal/bhs-text.zip doesn't
have any lines longer than 60 characters, as verified with the
following AWK program:

{if (length($0)>x) {x=length($0)}};END{print x}

--
Henry Churchyard churchh AT usa.net http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/