b-hebrew - RE: Conversion of OTA BHS text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "John Richards" <jhr AT universalist.worldonline.co.uk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Conversion of OTA BHS text
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:29:08 -0500

As I understand it, the main reason for the SIL software not working
properly is that it was designed to work with the slightly different CCAT
data format rather than the OTA text. That is not a bug.

May I make a suggestion. John R has "what is, so far as I can see, a perfect
text". Perhaps either he or Henry can put this up on a website.
(Unfortunately I am not able to do so.) This would not seem to break OTA's
conditions, as it is derived from their earlier and less restricted
distribution. I think it would be OK with SIL, but please check the SIL
website for conditions on the SIL conversion stuff. This website would be,
as far as we know, the first public electronic distribution of the fully
pointed Hebrew text. It would save lots of other people trying to reinvent
the wheel which John has already successfully reinvented. (Fortunately no
one could patent the first version of this particular wheel, and they can't
copyright the original Hebrew MS.)

If you like, John, I will try to verify your "perfect text" against the text
which I have, which is derived from CCAT and so not distributable. It would
be interesting to see how many differences I find. If you would like me to
do this, please e-mail me the text as a zip file (off-list of course),
preferably this week while I have local access to my e-mail server.

Peter Kirk

PS: as the OTA text is ASCII text, there should be no problems editing it
with Word as long as it is saved as Text Only. The only odd thing which
might happen would be the double quotes for tsere being changed to curly
quotes, but Save as Text Only always converts them back to straight quotes
as required. Well, Word 2000 just might get confused if it incorrectly
guesses that the text is French or some other language which uses guillemets
(chevrons) for quotation marks. If you see this happening, disable the
automatic language detection settings and tell Word that the text is
English. DO NOT say that the text is Hebrew, this will confuse it completely
as it will expect the Unicode standard Hebrew encoding and not find it.