b-hebrew - Re: 1 Kgs 1:40

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Kgs 1:40
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 08:47:15 -0500

Dear Lee,

Your posts have been helpful, and thanks for the Jouon-Muraoka references.
J-M does seem to treat verbal adjectives more insightfully than some other
grammars. I'm still a bit stuck on a very minor point, calling simxah in 1
Ki 1:40 a direct object, the reason being the verbal adjective s:mexiym is
intransitive. Along with considering whether a verb is stative or active,
we also need to consider the parameter of transitivity. Of the verbal
adjectives, smx(be glad) in the Qal is intransitive as is ml'(be full), in
contrast to sn'(hate) which is transitive, and yr'(fear) which straddles
the fence between transitive and intransitive. The nouns which follow the
verbal adjectives in the verses below are in the genitive relationship to
the verb. adj. rather than the accusative--not genitive as in possessive
but in its adnominal(or descriptive) sense. So when it comes to the verbal
adjectives that are bound to a following noun, we not only blur the line
between adjective and participle, we also blur the line between
verb/adjective and noun.

Take for instance your examples:
Num 7:13 there is no filling of a person or thing as with ml' in the Piel
stem. Rather, the vessels were full *of* flour, etc.
Deu 6:11 houses are not filling anything; they are filled *with* good.
Mal 3:1 they are not delighting(transitive) the messenger; they are taking
pleasure(intransitive) *in* the messenger.

Back to 1 Ki 1:40. If simxah g:dolah is indeed part of the same clause
with s:mexiym then its relationship with s:mexiym would be descriptive:
"...and rejoicing with great joy."

Am I making sense? Like I said , a minor point.

Shalom,
Bryan

----------
> From: Lee R. Martin <lmartin AT vol.com>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Re: 1 Kgs 1:40
> Date: Friday, November 20, 1998 3:39 PM
>
> I have found some parallels with 1 Kings 1:40, using the verb MaLe'
(full). The
> participle and the adjective are identical in form, and in the following
verses, the
> adjective is not in the expected construct state, but is in the absolute,
like we saw
> in 1Kings: Num. 7:13; 19, 25, etc. Deut. 6:11; Neh. 9:25; Jer. 5:27;
35:5; Ezek.
> 10:12. So how does BDB and Even-Shoshan know that these are adjectives
and not
> participles? Evan-Shoshan lists one Qal Ptc., Isa. 6:1.
>
> The verb YaR'e (fear) is listed in BDB with both ptc. and adj. meaning
"afraid." All
> seven of the plural forms are pointed just like our example in 1Kings,
and some of
> them have direct objects.
>
> Cf. also Malachi 3:1, ChaPheTsiM, parsed as an adjective. "Messenger" is
the object
> of this adjective/participle.
>
> Lee Martin

B. M. Rocine