b-hebrew - Re: 1 Kgs 1:40

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Kirk Lowery <KirkLowery AT xc.org>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Kgs 1:40
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:31:28 -0500

Dear Kirk,
You have come upon a quirk of morphology that may defy English grammatical
categories.
"Rejoicing" (SMaCHiM) derives from a stative verb. Stative verbs are no more
than inflected
adjectives. By their nature, stative verbs to not have participles (though a
few
developed). Instead of the participle (which can function as a verbal
adjective) the
statives use the adjective form as a verbal. That is why BDB lists SaMeaCH
as a verbal
adjective (p.970). A normal adjective in this type of sentence would be in
construct
("joyful of heart", etc.), but this adjective is not in construct, leaving
"great joy" as a
direct object of the verbal adjective. See Jouon sections 40c, 50b, 96Bd, and
for other
verb of this class see Waltke 22.3h. Therefore, the syntactic label should
be "verbal
adjective."
Lee Martin