b-hebrew - Re: 1 Kgs 1:40

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Kgs 1:40
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 17:20:00 -0500

Dear Lee, Peter, and others:

Aha..trying to pull a fast one, eh!? ;-)

Your surface structures are conveniently similar. But are the underlying
notions? Try a test. Put the word "with" in your evenly numbered
sentences and your translation of 1 Ki 1:40. Are the results English?

He was singing with a great song. Hmm...
...was graphing with a great graph. Nope.
...was painting with a great painting. Good way to wreck a great painting
...was carving with a great carving. Another silly picture.
They were rejoicing with a great rejoicing. Ahh...perfect sense.

Why? Because even in your Eng translation, "rejoicing" is intransitive. A
preposition, something like "with" has elided from the surface structure
"...rejoicing a great rejoicing." It's in the notional structure. Even in
English, "great rejoicing" is adverbal rather than accusative.

btw, no matter how we parse it, s:mexiym g:dolah in 1 Ki 1:40 has the
notional structure, "the rejoicing was great."

Shalom,
Bryan

----------
> From: Lee R. Martin <lmartin AT vol.com>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Re: 1 Kgs 1:40
> Date: Monday, November 23, 1998 11:48 AM
>
> In support of Peter Kirk, I would like to add a few English examples to
his discussion
> of transitive verbs. Note the following.
> 1. He was singing.
> 2. He was singing a great song.
> 3. She is graphing.
> 4. She is graphing a great graph.
> 5. They are painting.
> 6. They are painting a great painting.
> 7. He was carving.
> 8. He was carving a great carving.
>
> Are 2,4, 6, and 8 transitive?
> What is different about 1Ki. 1:40? "They were rejoicing a great
rejoicing."
> I don't see any difference between this Hebrew sentence and the ones in
English
> above. In both cases, the verbs may be either transitive or
intransitive.
> Lee Martin

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor