b-hebrew - Re: 1 Kgs 1:40

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Reinhard G.Lehmann" <lehmann AT mail.Uni-Mainz.de>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: 1 Kgs 1:40
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:00:58 +0000

I think the question of Kirk Lowery is best answered when the second
part in 1 Kgs 1:40b (w.&:m"xiym &im:xfh g:dowlfh) is understood as a
case of accusative, the pl. adj. &:m"xiym understood as having somewhat
verbal power (compare 1 Chr. 29:9 with a finite form of the root &MX
with the same accusative).

The participle of &MX is (as far as I see) only attested twice (Ps 19:9
and Jdc 9:13, both piel), and there is no part. qal - no wonder because
&MX at first glance seems to be intransitive. There is only the one
instance of real transitive &MX qal (with direct object) 1 Chr. 29:9
(the normal construction is prepositional, &MX B or &MX L), and the
object here (&im:xfh g:dowlfh) is what we call in german 'effiziertes'
object (sorry, but I miss the english word) without an 'affiziertes'
(means direct) object. The same is the case in 1 Kgs 1:40, but here the
sentence could not use a finite verb as in 1 Chr 29:9 because &:m"xiym
&im:xfh g:dowlfh is a circumstantial clause ('Chalsatz') to w:hf`fm
m:xal.:liym, that actually demands a nominal form in the first position,
here a participle. Because there is no real participle of &MX qal, the
closest alternative is to choose the adjective.

IMHO the verse is to translate as follows:
"... And the people played flutes, meanwhile they were rejoicing a great
joy".

Greetings
reinhard g.lehmann

Reinhard G. Lehmann