b-hebrew - Re: 1 Kgs 1:40

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Bryan Rocine <596547 AT ican.net>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Kgs 1:40
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:35:52 -0500

Dear Bryan,
Read Jouon sections 41 and 50b.
I don't have time to look for other verbal adjectives followed by an object,
but if I
find others I will get back to you.
Note that the "so-called" participle of YaRe' (fear) actually has the
morphology of an
adjective (the m.pl. form is pointed just like our example), and it regularly
takes
objects. ShaM` (hear) also is originally stative, but accepts objects. The
pointing of
the ptc. and the adj. from MaLe' are identical. IMHO, they are the same, but
our
grammatical categories have forced us to divide them into two compartments.
In Hebrew, the line between adj. and ptc. seems to be very thin.
Therefore, based on other examples, SeMaChiM is in the process of
transformation
during BH times from adj. to participle. Thus, we would be entirely
justified in
proclaiming it as a participle.

Lee Martin