b-hebrew - Re: 1 Kgs 1:40

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: B-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Kirk Lowery <KirkLowery AT xc.org>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Kgs 1:40
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:51:41 +0800

Kirk Lowery wrote:

> Friends,
>
> The syntax of 1 Kgs 1:40b can be read a couple of different ways. Without
> prejudicing this audience with my ideas ;-) , how would you understand
> where the
> clause boundaries are, and how we are to understand the participles here
> (functioning as nouns, verbally, or perhaps even adverbially)?
>
> 1:40a way.a`:alw. kfl-hf`fm 'ax:arfyw -- no problems here V + Su + Adv
> phrase
> (direction)
>
> 1:40b w:hf`fm m:xal.:liym b.ax:aliliym w.&:m"xiym &im:xfh g:dowlfh -- ?????
>
> 1:40c wat.ib.fqa` hf'frec b.:qowlfm -- this is also no problem: V + Su + Adv
> phrase (instrumental)

Kirk,

The source of the problem here, of course, appears to be the repetition of
Hf`fM.
Maybe that's why some versions of the LXX left it out.

I'm not sure I understand you question about clause boundaries. If we are
looking at
1:40b like you say, there seem to be two clauses, both with the subject
Hf`fM. IOW, a
compound "verb", although the verbs in this case are participles. Perhaps
you need to
influence us a little by explaining the possibilities as you see them.

I see both participles {M:XaL.:LiYM and [W.]&M"XiYM}acting as verbs. Were
they acting
adjectivally, I have difficulty resolving the conjunction on the second
Hf`fM. That
conjunction tends to force a clause break between 1:40a and 1:40b. So I take
this
part of the verse as two clauses: Su + Ptcp(V) + Adv phrase(instrumental)
and (Su) +
Ptcp(V) + Obj + Adj. The second Hf`fM distinguishes the pipers and rejoicers
from
Solomon.

My 2ยข worth (and that's highway robbery!)

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph