homestead - Re: [Homestead] Climate-Gate

  • From: clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Climate-Gate
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:56:47 EST

> >Sun planets revolve around the earth - wrong.

Hmmmm. Not so fast.

The children of modern science tend to look at the doctrine of the past,
view it only against current thinking, and the result is a straw man that is
easily dismissed. That is we look at the modern model of the solar system
and say the sun is obviously the center, right? And those poor simpletons of
ages past thought the Earth was the center and the sun revolved around it
... how quaint!

Visualize this, if you can: see the solar system operating as it is
described now of days. Now, suppose you were to fix the Earth, stop it dead
in its
tracks, immobilize it, nail it down .... and yet the sun and planets
continued to move relative to the Earth unabated. Is the sun now revolving
around
the Earth?? In fact, it is! If you visualize the Earth as completely
stationary, then the earth isn't revolving on it's axis but rather the sun is
daily spinning around it. Likewise, if we view the Earth as stationary, the
plantets all move around it as well which sometimes makes them appear
'retrograde' to our stationary position.

The relative position and movement of all the bodies was well known and
well described since antiquity, and even their relative size and distances.
Up
until the time of Copernicus the mindset of human kind was that wherever
humans happened to be (the Earth) was by denifintion the most important place
and the center of our existence and therefore everything was described in
terms of how it related to where we happened to be.

What Copernicus and those how followed suit proposed was not a different
physical model of the solar system, but rather a shift as to what was
cosmically important. The philosophy of scientific thinking was that people
were
more or less a cosmic accident, of no particular importance in the scheme of
things. So the definition of 'center' shifted from being 'where we are' to
'what is the biggest', thus the sun becomes the center of the solar system
and were we ourselves are is of no particular consequence.

It was also at this time that the actual god that people worshipped without
doubt and without question or hesitation became Science and thus it
continues to this day. You may doubt your religion, but almost no one will
ever
doubt 'reason'. It is thus the real god.

James

</HTML>