homestead - Re: [Homestead] Climate-Gate

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Climate-Gate
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 20:25:48 -0800 (PST)

Oh!!  maybe this is the Norwegian town under ice reference.

I found this in one article.........

"Earth's climate was in a cool period from A.D. 1400 to about A.D. 1860,
dubbed the "Little Ice Age." This period was characterized by harsh winters,
shorter growing seasons, and a drier climate. The decline in global
temperatures was a modest 1/2° C, but the effects of this global cooling
cycle were more pronounced in the higher latitudes. The Little Ice Age has
been blamed for a host of human suffering including crop failures like the
"Irish Potato Famine" and the demise of the medieval Viking colonies in
Greenland.  Today we enjoy global temperatures which have warmed back to
levels of the so called "Medieval Warm Period," which existed from
approximately A.D. 1000 to A.D. 1350."

............Which then provided a link to this NY Times article:
http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/Reference_Docs/NYT-vikings_greenland/NYT-vikings_greenland.html
"At the Viking site near here, artifacts were locked in permafrost and buried
under several feet of sand."

The article talks about the effects of global cooling, which forced people to
move out of areas that became too cold to live in.  Now the planet is warm
enough and had uncovered at least this one area where people used to live
when temperatures were warmer.