baslinux - Re: [BL] Flash player

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Flash player
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 08:55:45 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:19:55 -0700 (PDT), Martin Warren wrote:
> One of the things that I dislike about YouTube these days is that the minim
> um rate for videos is 360p.
> Gnash or Synfig kind-of work on some linux distros, but as soon as they get
> close to YouTube's current parameters, YouTube updates its requirements!

You don't necessarily need flash to access youtube.

>  If I were sufficiently intelligent, driven, or had the damn time, I'd be
> working on some new code to approach this issue.

If you look at the youtube page source, you can pick out the URL to
each format/resolution (from the "itag") and can download or stream by
manually feeding that to mplayer. Formats include .flv, .mp4, .webm.

> As it is, when running Damn Small Linux on my P1 machine, I render YouTube
> videos by running them through VLC, or the KeepVid or Vixy.net websites, co
> nverting the flash vids to .avi, and playing them back in Xine or Mplayer.
>  In all likelihood, you could do the same in BL3 ... but you must meet yo
> ur video player's dependencies first.

For an AMD K6, the mplayer (Linux) I use is compiled on exactly that
CPU. I have posted the link before. It is a static compile, 12.4 MB.
http://www.ausreg.com/bl/misc/mplayer5

> Oddly, I AM able to do this in IBM PC-DOS 6.1 on my ANCIENT 486dx2 (!!!) us
> ing DUGL Player!!! .

I find DOS is the easiest OS to use with youtube, using Arachne and
either YTCRACK or my own UNTUBE as plug-ins to extract direct URLs, and
mplayer to play them.

At the moment, it is only when the link(s) is/are buried in an .swf file
that
DOS is unable to access the media.

>  Perhaps someone can make a project of porting this to Linux, as Cubic .mp3
player was!

The DUGL player makes use of libraries developed in DOS, and it is
unlikely that it will ever be ported to Linux. I have DUGL player, but
hardly ever use it - mplayer for DOS (2 separate ports) is better.

But you could contact the author of the DUGL player and ask him, if
you really need it. You will find him on the "DOS Ain't Dead" forum.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser -
http://www.glennmcc.org/

DOS: For IQs higher than 95, 98 or 2000.