baslinux - Re: [BL] Flash player

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Flash player
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:25:11 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 02:33:12 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

>> For an AMD K6, the mplayer (Linux) I use is compiled on exactly that
>> CPU. I have posted the link before. It is a static compile, 12.4 MB.
>> http://www.ausreg.com/bl/misc/mplayer5

> I did not realize you compiled with support for PII - I will try your
> 12.4MB mplayer some time soon at youtube.

It isn't so much that I compiled-in support for PII, it is just that I
compiled it ON an AMD K6 600MHz machine (in SW9).

>> At the moment, it is only when the link(s) is/are buried in an .swf file
that
>> DOS is unable to access the media.

> But your little program can extract the link and play youtube as something
> other than .swf?
> I probably don't understand.

1. This is for DOS, not Linux.
2. Using the DOS browser Arachne and any of three DOS programs as
plug-ins, it is possible to grab the direct URLs to any media file in a
webpage.
3. Those media files can then be downloaded, and (except for .swf files)
played by either of the two DOS ports of mplayer.
4. If your connection is fast enough, it may even be possible to stream
some of those media files.
5. .SWF files are binary files with media information buried inside.
As of now, those .swf files have resisted all attempts in DOS to extract
useable links or other information that might lead to access to the
media. They are shockwave files and are designed to only be read and
used by proprietary software. There are SOME Linux applications
(e.g. GNASH) being developed, but with only limited success.

I would be happy to expand on the finer details, but this mailing list
is not a forum for DOS hacking.

On the other hand, as most "flash" media files and their URLs are
directly written into the webpage sources, it is quite possible to pick
through the page sources and grab those URLs, manually. I have posted
that method in a previous post to this list (for youtube).
For non-youtube pages containing media links, possibly protected by
javascript and other abominations, picking through the page source
searching for ".flv" or ".mp4" or ".m4v" may also yield useable download
links.

And this can all be done without using FLASH software, just with an
ordinary text browser such as Links, which will run on almost anything.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser -
http://www.glennmcc.org/

DOS: For IQs higher than 95, 98 or 2000.