baslinux - Re: [BL] Flash player

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Flash player
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:41:58 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:54:43 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

>> It isn't so much that I compiled-in support for PII, it is just that I
>> compiled it ON an AMD K6 600MHz machine (in SW9).

> When compiling on an AMD K6, does it get compiled to work on a PII without
> you specifying it? I had to choose i586.

I can't give a sensible answer to that. I compiled it on my AMD K6
while running Slackware 9.1. It would not compile with run-time enabled,
so I compiled it without. Either it works on your machine or it doesn't.
YMMV !

>> 5. .SWF files are binary files with media information buried inside.
>> As of now, those .swf files have resisted all attempts in DOS to extract
>> useable links or other information that might lead to access to the
>> media. They are shockwave files and are designed to only be read and
>> used by proprietary software. There are SOME Linux applications
>> (e.g. GNASH) being developed, but with only limited success.

> But the information can be extracted with a text editor or other text
> reader?

?????

.SWF files are binaries. They are written in "action script", compiled
to binary, then compressed. I have never managed to get ANY information
at all from any .swf file.

> I accessed youtube with lynx and could not even find a link to the
> ..swf - needs javascript. A reveal codes produced 82 pages of code.

Youtube does not use .swf files, so you would be wasting your time
looking for them. But other websites do.

> I will reread your previous postings.

That might help. :)

> Why do they make it so complicated?

Youtube is Google. They have all sorts of stuff written into their web
pages, and a large proportion of it is about getting information about you -
the visitor - and jumping you through hoops while they get it.
The way I get at youtube media gives them very little in the way of
information about me, my browser, my system and so on, becase I do it
without javascript or flash, and I do it in DOS.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser -
http://www.glennmcc.org/

DOS: For IQs higher than 95, 98 or 2000.