baslinux - Re: [BL] Flash player

  • From: Martin Warren <elephant_range AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Flash player
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:19:55 -0700 (PDT)

The last version which worked on DSL Linux was Flash 7.  I have Puppy 4.31 on an AMD K-6 , and it jumps a lot but it works.  #!Crunchbang 10 works fine.  Tinycore has no problems keeping current.

One of the things that I dislike about YouTube these days is that the minimum rate for videos is 360p.  Strangely, Windows still allows streaming at 240p.

Gnash or Synfig kind-of work on some linux distros, but as soon as they get close to YouTube's current parameters, YouTube updates its requirements!

I have resigned myself to the fact that this is one of Linux weaknesses.  If I were sufficiently intelligent, driven, or had the damn time, I'd be working on some new code to approach this issue.

As it is, when running Damn Small Linux on my P1 machine, I render YouTube videos by running them through VLC, or the KeepVid or Vixy.net websites, converting the flash vids to .avi, and playing them back in Xine or Mplayer.  In all likelihood, you could do the same in BL3 ... but you must meet your video player's dependencies first.

Oddly, I AM able to do this in IBM PC-DOS 6.1 on my ANCIENT 486dx2 (!!!) using DUGL Player!!! .  Perhaps someone can make a project of porting this to Linux, as Cubic .mp3 player was!

Cheers,

-Martin.