baslinux - Re: [BL] Flash player

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Flash player
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 16:56:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, Martin Warren wrote:

Hi Sindi:

My P1 Celeron (Mendicino) 533MHz and 128M RAM will play flash using Puppy, Slitaz, Tinycore, or Crunchbang with some very slight jumps.

Pentium II is 233 to 450MHz.
You have a Pentium III. Pentium I most likely won't play Flash.

I have played flash at 450Mhz, with a lot of jerkiness. 500MHz PII will also play DVDS but the 475MHz AMD K-7 was hopeless.

Do you have any computers fast enough for flash with so little RAM that you need to play flash with basiclinux rather tinycore? I use BL for most things but have added Puppy to my faster computers for Youtube and other things requiring a GTK2 browser.

Someone promised to compile a 2.6 kernel for BL so we could use a SW12
or later glibc and thus other more recent software. I gave up trying to compile GTK2 with SW11 glibc and 2.4 kernel. I will remind him when I have more time.

Crunchbang used to be based on Debian, but its developers switched sources. It is becoming Ubuntu-based. Version 10 is what I'm running, and it's about half-and-half. The P1 likes Puppy and Slitaz best of these.

Why not also Tinycore?

About YouTube, I said that Windows supports the 240p option, but yes the 360p is the default. The newest Adobe Flash for Linux does not support 240p AT ALL.

That is pretty dumb. Which is the last version to support 240p?
(I am using BL right now so cannot check for myself).
Would it help to complain to Adobe?

Alternatives to Adobe flash are here, though their practicality is...uneven
at this time:
GNASH: http://gnashdev.org/
SYNFIG (vector-based flash animation): http://www.synfig.org/cms/
F4L: http://f4l.sourceforge.net/

Sounds like a losing race though. Will these work at Youtube?

I will post more later on this, but I've got to get back to work.

Cheers,

-Martin.

What are Crunchbang's memory requirements?