baslinux - Re: [BL] Flash player

  • From: Martin Warren <elephant_range AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Flash player
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:29:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sindi:

My P1 Celeron (Mendicino) 533MHz and 128M RAM will play flash using Puppy,
Slitaz, Tinycore, or Crunchbang with some very slight jumps.

Crunchbang used to be based on Debian, but its developers switched sources.
It is becoming Ubuntu-based. Version 10 is what I'm running, and it's about
half-and-half. The P1 likes Puppy and Slitaz best of these.

About YouTube, I said that Windows supports the 240p option, but yes the 360p
is the default. The newest Adobe Flash for Linux does not support 240p AT
ALL.

Alternatives to Adobe flash are here, though their practicality is...uneven
at this time:
GNASH: http://gnashdev.org/
SYNFIG (vector-based flash animation): http://www.synfig.org/cms/
F4L: http://f4l.sourceforge.net/

I will post more later on this, but I've got to get back to work.

Cheers,

-Martin.