baslinux - Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 23:00:44 +0000 (UTC)

SciTech worked for me with S3 Virge (framebuffer and xfbdev).

So a Dos program affected your X server positively !?

I use a DOS program called CTCM instead of isapnp to set the IO and IRQ of plug-n-play sound cards.

Do you need to compile modules alongside compiling the kernel?
I dont know much about this subject.

I was able to use Steven's modules that he already compiled, but not two of the three cdrom modules, so I tried to compile them myself and they still did not work.

I can explain to you how to compile kernels or you can read a HOWTO.

Let us know if SciTech Display Doctor kills Xvesa for you. Framebuffer
text may not be worth it. I still don't have xfbdev working in BL3 as a
substitute.

My reason for trying it was the hope that it provide a way to
stretch the text screen under DOS but its only interested in
graphic mode so, no good.

Try a free DOS program called vmode. I have used it to select DOS video modes, which differ for each video chip. It probably works similarly to svgatextmode and can produce up to 132 columns and 60 rows of text that does not look quite as nice as graphical mode text. (I think it also can produce text in graphical mode, but I never figured out how to get a cursor).

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/textmode.html
WPDOS - Text Mode Survival Guide (45 25-line pages!).
Explains text vs graphics modes for wpdos (Wordperfect for DOS).

See page 42 about laptops and stretching the text to fill the screen.
Does not work on all laptops and when it does, the text may look bad.
They suggest getting a different laptop. (Avoid anything with Cyrix MediaGX cpu - 8-bit color, awful looking text, and won't boot syslinux).

VMODE.EXE
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/vmode.exe

Also on the Ultimate Boot CD.

TM.EXE supposedly gives 90 columns. I have not tried it.
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/tm.exe
They renamed it from tm.com for some reason. tm.exe is also the name of a virus and a program related to nnCron's GUI (?) and an online train magazine.

whatvga.exe (free diagnostic program) works with most video chips to list available modes.

I have a list of video modes for various cards.

If you cannot find a mode you like, run Display Doctor first then vmode. (I have not tried this combination).

What do you use DOS for? I use Wordperfect 5.1. It does not work well or easily under DOSEMU.

Bye now,
Ian.