baslinux - Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 21:49:18 +0000 (UTC)

I have the same problem on my 100MHz Satellite 420CDT (and I think on two
other Toshiba Satellite CDSs). Chips & Tech video. Hitachi lets you
'stretch' the text in DOS with the same video.

I can stretch the text on my Toshiba Satellite 420CDT by going into SETUP at boot time (ESC-F1) and Text Mode Stretched - Enabled.

The Compaq Armadas are not so nice. No stretch.
Compaq Presario has I think full screen but ugly text.

On some earlier Toshibas the screen could be stretched in text
mode with a little program called "Ultra" but I couldnt get that
to work with the Satellites.
You can also boot vga=785 or 788 with the 'big' kernel to get nice looking
text using framebuffer mode, if your video is VESA 2.0 compliant. My
Pentiums 100MHz or faster are VESA 2.0. 785= 640x480, 788 = 800x600 (all
my pentiums can do that). 800x600 gives more columns too (100?).
Read about VESA framebuffer video.

Will try when I get the big kernel in place. Thanks Sindi.

I will attempt to compile a smaller framebuffer/vgaselect kernel for
2.2.26 (or 2.2.27) and put together a 2-floppy BL with it following
Steven's instructions.

See how it goes.

I compiled and posted it already. Works fine for me. Under 500K and works with Steven's modules (except cdrom so I compiled that in).

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.2.26/zimafbcd.226 and conffbcd.226
I am working on a 2-floppy version with this kernel. It boots and goes online (I need to change resolv.conf to something current) but the second disk was defective.

--
Bye now,
Ian.