baslinux - Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:11:15 +0100 (BST)

In message <Pine.NEB.4.64.0810092239500.21123 AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I was able to use Steven's modules that he already compiled, but not two
> of the three cdrom modules, so I tried to compile them myself and they
> still did not work.

Did you try compiling the same kernel as Steven provides (same config)
as a test?
Do you use the same source and the same compiler as Steven does?

> I can explain to you how to compile kernels or you can read a HOWTO.

Thanks, might take you up on that but not at the moment Im planning to
go away. Id need to set up another computer first. No HD room ATM.

> Try a free DOS program called vmode. I have used it to select DOS video
> modes, which differ for each video chip. It probably works similarly to
> svgatextmode and can produce up to 132 columns and 60 rows of text that
> does not look quite as nice as graphical mode text. (I think it also can
> produce text in graphical mode, but I never figured out how to get a
> cursor).

Prefer text mode, faster, easier on the eyes. Looks as though most
of the stuff you mention relates to WP51. Good program but I havnt
found a need to use it for ages. If I have to write a letter I just
use my text editor Qedit. Toshiba actually provides screen drivers
for some fancy programs like WP51, AutoCAD. Presumably they stretch
the screen within those programs. However they dont work for plain
command line work or Volkov Commander.

> If you cannot find a mode you like, run Display Doctor first then vmode.
> (I have not tried this combination).

Ill try, but Ive tried so many things in the past, Im not hopeful.

> What do you use DOS for? I use Wordperfect 5.1. It does not work well or
> easily under DOSEMU.

I use Dos for all my Internet stuff, mail, news, fetching web pages ..
If I want to actually browse a site that uses things like forms, tables,
secure pages, I use Bl+xvesa+Opera8. If I want to do lots of web browsing,
I go to the public library, where Internet is free. At home, I only
use Windows 98se offline where it cant catch viruses.

--
Bye now,
Ian.