baslinux - [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 20:16:45 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

Finding myself back with my computers again, I thought Id have another
stab at getting BL to do more of the things, I want it to.

Ive put BL3.5 on a partition of my Toshiba Satellite 110ct laptop.
Still LOADLINing from a Dos partition at the moment.

This sort of laptop (a P1) was quite common over here in the UK.
They were designed for Win3x /95 for which they were ok but they
have a major flaw when using Text mode. The height of the picture
is only two thirds the height of the screen. Theres a "screen
stretch" option in the Bios but it doesnt make much difference.
I never did find a way of making the picture full height under
Dos and I assumed the same problem would exist in text mode
under LINUX. I was surprised to find a similar machine with a
very mixed up version of Slackware, where the previous owner,
who is something of a Linux whizz-kid had found a way round it.
It seems that to get full height on this laptop the kernel has
to be started with the option "vga=3845". I tried that with my
BL and Loadlin and it made no difference but when I substituted
the rather big VMLINUZ for ZIMAGE and Loadlined that with the
"vga=3845" parm, the picture jumped to full height and the load
went ahead ok.

This VMLINUZ isnt a substitute for ZIMAGE because when I tried
to use it, I was getting kernel panics, but it isnt a newer one. Its
a 2.2.19. So Im assuming that the "vga=3845" bit isnt compiled into
ZIMAGE. I thought maybe I would find a module in the add-ons that
I could insmod but there aren't any screen ones as far as I could
see. So Im stumpted. Any suggestions?

BTW, this doesnt effect Xvesa which runs full screen, top resolution.
Its just text mode, but its mainly text mode programs I want to use.

--
Bye now,
Ian.