baslinux - Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 22:20:09 +0000 (UTC)

Ive put BL3.5 on a partition of my Toshiba
Satellite 110ct laptop. Still LOADLINing
from a Dos partition at the moment.

This sort of laptop (a P1) was quite common
over here in the UK.

I've got a 110cs sitting right next to me.
Toshiba's are my favorite laptops.

I have the same problem on my 100MHz Satellite 420CDT (and I think on two other Toshiba Satellite CDSs). Chips & Tech video. Hitachi lets you 'stretch' the text in DOS with the same video.

The height of the picture is only two thirds
the height of the screen.

Yes, same thing here. A blank inch at the top
and a blank inch at the bottom. No blanks at
the sides though, the full line is used from
left to right.

a Linux whizz-kid had found a way round it.
It seems that to get full height on this
laptop the kernel has to be started with
the option "vga=3845". I tried that with
my BL and Loadlin and it made no difference

That capability comes from a kernel compile-time
parameter CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT. If you look at
the config file for the BL3 kernel (at BL3 site),
you will find the following line:
------------------------------
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT is not set
------------------------------
If you look at the config file for the big BL3
kernel, you will find the following line:
---------------------
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
---------------------

when I substituted the rather big VMLINUZ for
ZIMAGE and Loadlined that with the "vga=3845"

I assume you got that VMLINUZ from another version
of Linux.

parm, the picture jumped to full height
This VMLINUZ isnt a substitute for ZIMAGE because
when I tried to use it, I was getting kernel panics,

I suggest you use the big BL3 kernel (bzimage.big).
It is available at the BL3 site.

Instead of vga=3845 try vga=ask. Press return to get a list of 7 modes. #4 is the one you get with 3845 (30 lines). Read about svgatextmode.
You can get 25 28 30 43 50 60 lines.

34 is not bad. 60 is hard to read.

You can also boot vga=785 or 788 with the 'big' kernel to get nice looking text using framebuffer mode, if your video is VESA 2.0 compliant. My Pentiums 100MHz or faster are VESA 2.0. 785= 640x480, 788 = 800x600 (all my pentiums can do that). 800x600 gives more columns too (100?).
Read about VESA framebuffer video.

I will attempt to compile a smaller framebuffer/vgaselect kernel for 2.2.26 (or 2.2.27) and put together a 2-floppy BL with it following Steven's instructions.