baslinux - Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 22:08:02 +0000 (UTC)

I can stretch the text on my Toshiba Satellite 420CDT by going into SETUP
at boot time (ESC-F1) and Text Mode Stretched - Enabled.

Same with the Toshiba 110ct/cs but the stretch is only a little
better than the nostretch.

Odd. Mine is full screen stretched.

Read about VESA framebuffer video.

The VESA on the 110ct is only 1.2 but youve given me an idea.
Theres a DOS program called Scitech display doctor, which can
boost the VESA up to 3. Might be able to stretch the Tosh screen
under DOS, which would be useful to me. I still use DOS a lot.

http://www.sac.sk/pub/graph/sdd653-d.exe (DOS only, not 'all platforms').

SciTech worked for me with S3 Virge (framebuffer and xfbdev).

Also with a VESA 2.0 Matrox card - more modes and I think xfbdev worked (it used to crash).

However it disabled Xvesa because it is a TSR and Xvesa hates TSRs even ctmouse.

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2007-February/013134.html
and prior and later postings in that thread (I explain how to install it).

I compiled and posted it already. Works fine for me. Under 500K and
works with Steven's modules (except cdrom so I compiled that in).

Bit odd it doesnt work with that and does with all the rest.
Surely you dont have the facility to test it with all those
modules? Theres a lot of them.

Two of the three modules used by cdrom segfaulted until compiled into the kernel. I have had lots of problems using modules, fixed by compiling them into the kernel, such as PCI IDE drivers or usbserial.

It worked with a random assortment of other modules that I tested, such as slhc and ppp. I did not test them ALL.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.2.26/zimafbcd.226 and conffbcd.226

Got the big kernel working ok so think Ill stick with that for a bit.

My smaller kernel does not support vga=ask (svgatextmode). I can add that to Steven's regular kernel (no framebuffer) if you like.

Let us know if SciTech Display Doctor kills Xvesa for you. Framebuffer text may not be worth it. I still don't have xfbdev working in BL3 as a substitute.

--
Bye now,
Ian.