baslinux - Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 20:35:57 +0100 (BST)

> SciTech worked for me with S3 Virge (framebuffer and xfbdev).

So a Dos program affected your X server positively !?

> Also with a VESA 2.0 Matrox card - more modes and I think xfbdev worked
> (it used to crash).
>
> However it disabled Xvesa because it is a TSR and Xvesa hates TSRs even
> ctmouse.

It stopped Xvesa starting here too.

> Two of the three modules used by cdrom segfaulted until compiled into the
> kernel. I have had lots of problems using modules, fixed by compiling
> them into the kernel, such as PCI IDE drivers or usbserial.
>
> It worked with a random assortment of other modules that I tested, such as
> slhc and ppp. I did not test them ALL.

Do you need to compile modules alongside compiling the kernel?
I dont know much about this subject.

> My smaller kernel does not support vga=ask (svgatextmode). I can add that
> to Steven's regular kernel (no framebuffer) if you like.

Kind of you to offer but Ill pass. Need to move on to network stuff.

> Let us know if SciTech Display Doctor kills Xvesa for you. Framebuffer
> text may not be worth it. I still don't have xfbdev working in BL3 as a
> substitute.

My reason for trying it was the hope that it provide a way to
stretch the text screen under DOS but its only interested in
graphic mode so, no good.

--
Bye now,
Ian.