baslinux - Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Toshiba laptop screen prob
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:52:57 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Ian wrote:

> Ive put BL3.5 on a partition of my Toshiba
> Satellite 110ct laptop. Still LOADLINing
> from a Dos partition at the moment.
>
> This sort of laptop (a P1) was quite common
> over here in the UK.

I've got a 110cs sitting right next to me.
Toshiba's are my favorite laptops.

> The height of the picture is only two thirds
> the height of the screen.

Yes, same thing here. A blank inch at the top
and a blank inch at the bottom. No blanks at
the sides though, the full line is used from
left to right.

> a Linux whizz-kid had found a way round it.
> It seems that to get full height on this
> laptop the kernel has to be started with
> the option "vga=3845". I tried that with
> my BL and Loadlin and it made no difference

That capability comes from a kernel compile-time
parameter CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT. If you look at
the config file for the BL3 kernel (at BL3 site),
you will find the following line:
------------------------------
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT is not set
------------------------------
If you look at the config file for the big BL3
kernel, you will find the following line:
---------------------
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y

> when I substituted the rather big VMLINUZ for
> ZIMAGE and Loadlined that with the "vga=3845"

I assume you got that VMLINUZ from another version
of Linux.

> parm, the picture jumped to full height
> This VMLINUZ isnt a substitute for ZIMAGE because
> when I tried to use it, I was getting kernel panics,

I suggest you use the big BL3 kernel (bzimage.big).
It is available at the BL3 site.