baslinux - Re: [BL] GLIBC 2.3 TinyX from DSL

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GLIBC 2.3 TinyX from DSL
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 23:59:24 +0000 (UTC)

DSL has TinyX servers (4.6.0 XFree86, 2007) compiled for glibc 2.3.
Download from the Canadian (Quebec) mirror site - mydsl, testing.
Xfbdev Xchips Xsavage Xtrio Xi810 etc. (no neomagic)
About 700K binaries.
Dependencies are ld-linux, libc, libm, libz.

The newer 4.6.0 Xvesa (and Xfbdev?) supposedly let you change frequency to
more than 60 Hz and also rotate.

DSL uses glibc 2.3.2. These binaries won't work with 2.2.5 - they want
GLIBC_2.3 (probably 2.3.2).

Someone compiled tinier tinyX servers for DSL but they have libz and ld-linux dependenices.
Xfree86 has binary downloads of them ALL for libc5, glibc2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, all about 850-900K. The libc5 are slightly larger than glibc2.1.
I download both libc5 and glibc2.1 packages ot
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/Xtinyx-libc5.tgz
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/Xtiny-glibc21.tgz

Nearly 5MB each. On request I can post individual packages.

I download the 4.60 versions, which are larger than what Steven compiled (Xvesa is 900K dynamic against libm and libc). Supposedly they can vary frequency. For laptops, irrelevant.

Some of these drivers may work better than the SVGA server or other older versions from Slackware 7.1 or 4.0. No neomagic driver - use xfbdev.

My Matrox card (dual-monitor) crashes when I use David Moberg's xfbdev so I will send this mail before testing. Xfbdev may require vesafb.