baslinux - Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade

  • From: Jonathan Stuart Lovelace <kingjon AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:30:30 -0400 (EDT)

> If you don't want the very latest source code, you can purchase CDs of
> older Slackwares online quite cheaply. I got mine from cheapbytes.com
> (Slackware 7.1, 3-CD set, $1 plus $5 shipping). The newer ones run to
> many more CDs, or even DVDs. If you want to compile only a few things,
> downloading at school over a fast connection is probably the way to go.

I want to compile various things in various versions, probably not the very
latest. Therefore, downloading over a fast connection _is_ the only way to go,
but I'm trying to get something rigged so I don't have to build a system as
I'm
transitioning into college.

> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Jonathan Stuart Lovelace wrote:

>>> Have you tried (with the jumper removed, that you added originally) not
>>> telling BIOS anything, which I think causes it to not find the drive at
>>> all, then looking at the drive with linux, including BL3? Does BL not
>>> fdisk work where Redhat does, or did you just not try it yet?

>> I have not tried looking at the drive with anything except RedHat, which
>> I'm
>> using from the disk. (LILO uses the BIOS, unfortunately, so I have to have
>> my
>> /boot directory on hda.) My use of BL/Slackware is on hold because I don't
>> have
>> a fast enough Internet connection to download packages and my current
>> project
>> is building an entire system from source -- preferably twice, because I
>> don't
>> like relying on RedHat, and I'm forced to use them (or Caldera, which
>> gives you
>> no choice of which packages to install in the original installation)
>> because
>> those two are the only distributions I have source on hand for. Once I get
>> off
>> to college, where I'll have a much faster connection, I can get back to
>> nicer
>> distributions.

I have now used BL (ramdisk BL2; I managed to destroy everything
installed-to-HD on this computer a while back) to access the big drive. Its
kernel must be recent enough.

>>> Putting the jumper on probably causes all OSes to identify the drive as
>>> only 32GB, because the hardware says that is what is is now.
>>
>> As I've been saying all along.
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>>> keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org
>>> SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org
>>

>> --
>> kingjon AT cyberspace.org
>> |"No man in the world has more courage |
>> | than the man who can stop after |
>> | eating one peanut." |
>> | -- Channing Pollock |
>> |"Math is worse than peanuts." |