baslinux - Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade

  • From: Jonathan Stuart Lovelace <kingjon AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:45:01 -0400 (EDT)

> Jonathan Stuart Lovelace wrote:

>>> Yes. Kernels up to the 2.2.x range can address up to 138 GB, so he should
>>> be fine.

> I just read on the Linux-Kernel mailing list archive,
> <http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0011.1/0056.html>
> and it seems to say that 2.2.16 does _not_ permit you to access
> 32GB if your BIOS/IDE controller cannot. However, the author
> of this post provided a patch to fix this. Do you want to build
> your own kernel with this patch or should I?

I've actually sort-of fixed the problem, though not with BL, by telling the
BIOS the drive doesn't exist and then removing the jumper. The other Linux I
have on hand and have been using identifies the drive correctly.

> David

> --

kingjon AT cyberspace.org
|"No man in the world has more courage |
| than the man who can stop after |
| eating one peanut." |
| -- Channing Pollock |
|"Math is worse than peanuts." |