baslinux - Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 16:10:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Jonathan Stuart Lovelace wrote:

I want to compile various things in various versions, probably not the very
latest. Therefore, downloading over a fast connection _is_ the only way to go,
but I'm trying to get something rigged so I don't have to build a system as
I'm
transitioning into college.

Probably you should not be compiling from 1999 code for your big
experiment. Just put on programs that work already and change them later
when you have the time at school. The older code is buggy and often won't
work with newer hardware.

While I may have to use precompiled binaries as a last resort, I was hoping to
make my way up gradually. However, given that my parents are pressuring me to
get ready for college (and this is only a sideline), I'm afraid you're right.

I suggest you just install things from Slackware 7.1 plus additional programs compiled for BL2, such as Abiword and Opera (upgrade glibc-so from SW7.1 first - I think I gave you an 8.1 disk). I put them on your computer in the first place (abiword in BL3, the BL2 one needs the full X and I put on Xvesa only).

Cheapbytes no longer sells the older versions of Slackware.