baslinux - Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade

  • From: Jonathan Stuart Lovelace <kingjon AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 09:50:33 -0400 (EDT)

>> I want to compile various things in various versions, probably not the very
>> latest. Therefore, downloading over a fast connection _is_ the only way to
>> go,
>> but I'm trying to get something rigged so I don't have to build a system
>> as I'm
>> transitioning into college.

> Probably you should not be compiling from 1999 code for your big
> experiment. Just put on programs that work already and change them later
> when you have the time at school. The older code is buggy and often won't
> work with newer hardware.

While I may have to use precompiled binaries as a last resort, I was hoping to
make my way up gradually. However, given that my parents are pressuring me to
get ready for college (and this is only a sideline), I'm afraid you're right.

>> I have now used BL (ramdisk BL2; I managed to destroy everything
>> installed-to-HD on this computer a while back) to access the big drive. Its
>> kernel must be recent enough.

> With an ethernet card in your and in Paul's linux computer, you could use
> BL2 ramdisk to transfer the entire BL3 and BL2 from his to your computer.
> Put in the card and to use it:
> insmod 3c509
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 (or 192.168.1.1 on the other computer)

> To transfer files

> receive (on one computer)
> send (on the other)
> give it the number of the other computer
> type the name of file or directory or even *

> Read about this at the list.

> All the BL2 and BL3's use the 2.2.16 kernel.

> I may have an extra copy of the SW7.1 sourcecode here - I will check. I
> think I made that my accident once instead of the installation CD. I have
> three biggish translations to do this week so don't expect to have time to
> figure out why my CD burner won't work right for a while.

> Look at cheapbytes.com for the $1 SW7.1 set - they might even have 8.1
> there now.

kingjon AT cyberspace.org
|"No man in the world has more courage |
| than the man who can stop after |
| eating one peanut." |
| -- Channing Pollock |
|"Math is worse than peanuts." |