baslinux - Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 02:35:03 +0000 (UTC)

I want to compile various things in various versions, probably not the very
latest. Therefore, downloading over a fast connection _is_ the only way to go,
but I'm trying to get something rigged so I don't have to build a system as
I'm
transitioning into college.

Probably you should not be compiling from 1999 code for your big experiment. Just put on programs that work already and change them later when you have the time at school. The older code is buggy and often won't work with newer hardware.

I have now used BL (ramdisk BL2; I managed to destroy everything
installed-to-HD on this computer a while back) to access the big drive. Its
kernel must be recent enough.

With an ethernet card in your and in Paul's linux computer, you could use BL2 ramdisk to transfer the entire BL3 and BL2 from his to your computer.
Put in the card and to use it:
insmod 3c509
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 (or 192.168.1.1 on the other computer)

To transfer files

receive (on one computer)
send (on the other)
give it the number of the other computer
type the name of file or directory or even *

Read about this at the list.

All the BL2 and BL3's use the 2.2.16 kernel.

I may have an extra copy of the SW7.1 sourcecode here - I will check. I think I made that my accident once instead of the installation CD. I have three biggish translations to do this week so don't expect to have time to figure out why my CD burner won't work right for a while.

Look at cheapbytes.com for the $1 SW7.1 set - they might even have 8.1 there now.