baslinux - Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade

  • From: Jonathan Stuart Lovelace <kingjon AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BIOS upgrade
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:13:18 -0400 (EDT)

> Have you tried (with the jumper removed, that you added originally) not
> telling BIOS anything, which I think causes it to not find the drive at
> all, then looking at the drive with linux, including BL3? Does BL not
> fdisk work where Redhat does, or did you just not try it yet?

I have not tried looking at the drive with anything except RedHat, which I'm
using from the disk. (LILO uses the BIOS, unfortunately, so I have to have my
/boot directory on hda.) My use of BL/Slackware is on hold because I don't
have
a fast enough Internet connection to download packages and my current project
is building an entire system from source -- preferably twice, because I don't
like relying on RedHat, and I'm forced to use them (or Caldera, which gives
you
no choice of which packages to install in the original installation) because
those two are the only distributions I have source on hand for. Once I get off
to college, where I'll have a much faster connection, I can get back to nicer
distributions.

> Putting the jumper on probably causes all OSes to identify the drive as
> only 32GB, because the hardware says that is what is is now.

As I've been saying all along.

(snip)

> keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org

kingjon AT cyberspace.org
|"No man in the world has more courage |
| than the man who can stop after |
| eating one peanut." |
| -- Channing Pollock |
|"Math is worse than peanuts." |