baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:03:37 +1300

Ron Clarke wrote:

> BasicLinux lpr.info lpd[49]: BasicLinux requests printjob lp

This is good.

> BasicLinux lpr.warn lpd[49]: lp: job could not be printed (cfA031BasicLinux)

This is bad. A fatal error. Rather vague -- I wish lpd
was a bit more forthcoming about why it could not be printed.
Perhaps you might get more if you removed the -q from the
gs filter file ? BTW have you tried bypassing lpd by
filtering (as root) direct to /dev/lp0 ?
---------------------------------------
deskjet.filter < filename.ps > /dev/lp0
---------------------------------------
If that works, then the problem is in the lpd/lpr setup.

If it's lpd/lpr, it could be some kind of permission problem
(that includes executability). Not just files, could be a
directory.

I get that same error myself when I run lpr from root.
I do my printing from user ichi, so ichi owns the filter
script. If I try to print a .ps from root, it fails.
I then switch to user ichi and it works.

Whether this is some sort of security feature (because
lpd is a network server) or is a result of the hamfisted
way I configured lpd/lpr, I don't know.