baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:25:35 +0000

Hi Steven,

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:02:57 +1300
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> OK, it's time to get methodical. Until we figure out the
> problem, start lpd with the -l parameter. That reports to
> the system logger -- but first you need to turn it on:
> -------
> syslogd
> -------

Done.

> Then you will able to read the messages from lpd:
> ----------------------
> cat /var/log/messages
> ----------------------

That works, too.

> Before trying to print, check that your printer device is
> installed:
> ---------------------------
> cat /proc/parport/0/devices
> ---------------------------
> It should say: lp. If not, something is wrong with your insmods.

It says: lp

> Then try printing a .ps as before, except turn the printer
> off before you do. That should queue the file. Then execute
> lpq to see if the file is queued.

It isn't. It returns: no entries

> Check /var/log/messages to
> see what feedback there is from lpd.

BasicLinux lpr.info lpd[49]: BasicLinux requests printjob lp
BasicLinux lpr.warn lpd[49]: lp: job could not be printed (cfA031BasicLinux)

This was the response with the printer turned on, and when turned off, and
also
when the cable was unplugged.

Do these lines mean anything to you ?

Regards,