baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 11:34:36 +0000

Hi Steven,

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:20:44 +1300
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > > Here is your /etc/printcap
> > > lp|ps|PS|PostScript:sh:mx#0:\
> > > :lp=/dev/lp0:\
> > > :sd=/var/spool/lpd/postscript:\
> > > :if=/var/spool/lpd/postscript/deskjet.filter:\
> > > It looks OK, except for that last \ (which I probably
> > > included in error from my own printcap). Try removing the
> > > terminating \ from the last line (only) and restarting lpd.
> >
> > I did that. It still doesn't print from Abiword,
>
> Until we get it going, you should use lpr (with a .ps file)
> so that you will see any error messages.
>
> OK, that's progress. Next thing we have to do is determine
> what's happening to the file. Try printing again and then
> do this:
> ---
> lpq
> ---

I did "lpr nnn.ps", and got no response at all except the command prompt
back.
(nnn.ps was a whole series of .ps fies one after another.)

And lpq said "no entries".

It seems that lpr is sending this stuff somewhere, but not to the actual
printer. :(

> What colour did you want then? Blue?
> --------------------------------
> setterm -background blue ; clear
> --------------------------------

I tried that with "cyan":

Impressive ! I also tried setterm -foreground blue ; clear
and got a most comfortable screen.
Then raising MC and back returned the screen to white on black.
There must be a man page somewhere for setterm.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke