baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packaging and ar and binutils

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packaging and ar and binutils
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 21:51:49 -0400 (EDT)

> > bin is not there
>
> Then you have not installed bin.tgz.

You are right - it only looked installed.

I unpackaged both binutils.tgz and bin.tgz (1M) into /usr/bin at my
friend's server and looked around for useful files. I would have no idea
what to do with most of these. I never even knew I was missing bin until
now. 'Talk' is irrelevant on a single-user system. So I am just going to
select from these two packages:

ar (binutils)
rpm2targz (bin)
whereis
which
zless (bin)
uudecode
uuencode
(these are all under 10K)
strip (a 146K file but useful for the 1.7M foolabs pdftotext file, to
reduce it to 900K).

Do you recommend anything else in particular from these two packages?
They total about 2.5M in /usr/bin (plus documentation).

> You should have bin.tgz.

Do I really need bin.tgz? I have managed perfectly without it until now.
It does not seem to contain files needed by a beginner.

I don't like putting things I have no use for on my computer.

Sindi Keesan