baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packaging and ar and mknod

  • From: Neo Sze Wee <neoszewee AT gmx.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packaging and ar and mknod
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:13:15 +0000

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 04:58:42PM -0400, keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> I got as far as:
>
> mknod /dev/photopc type major minor
>
> Type should be b for block or c for character. ??

You are on the right track and you are correct here.

> major and minor are numbers - do I copy them from some similar device?

You can try to use any but it does not always work. Look at the device
files in dev/ and see if get any idea. The information is actually
documented in the kernel source but why would you want to download the
source unless you want to compile? In fact, this is a dark area in
Linux.

> It says to use MAKEDEV shell script to find out the number but I doubt
> that BL2 comes with that.

You can download from debian:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

> The latest pdftotext from Doug Kaufman (static) does not seem to have any
> dependencies. I need a pdf file to test it on. It is about 900K.
> Stripped but not gzexed (whcih would make it smaller but slower).
>

> What do the numbers on top of the columns in top mean?

Search 'man top' in google.