baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and the small web browser

  • From: Neo Sze Wee <neoszewee AT gmx.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and the small web browser
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 16:40:39 +0000

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 12:36:08PM -0400, keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> >From Neo Sze Wee regarding adding RAM:
>
> > You are very right and I find it very wasteful.
> >
> > Never mind. I will do survival pc. I like to find out what you can run
> > with 486SX with 4 RAM and I am very quite happy with Linux and DOS.
>
> People have all sorts of strange hobbies ;)
> You can run Lynx for DOS on 4M RAM nicely.

> > > BL2 does not appear to have an ar in its busybox - where do we get one?
> > > Is ar small enough to include in BL2?
>
> > Because it is up to you to specify options when you are compiling. In
> > this case Steven has not specified ar when he compiles. I can send you
> > the version I have and when you encounter a deb file, just do:
> >
> > busybox_I_have ar -t file.deb
>
> Are you offering to send me your version of busybox or just ar from it?

I have send you a version first before you can ar from it because the
one from BL does not have it. Right?

> Do I type out the entire line above? Or just put ar where the other

The entire line above.

> busybox binaries are located or somewhere on the path and type ar -t
> file.deb (or ar -x file.deb to extract the Debian package files). I don't
> understand how busybox works. If ar cannot be sent as a separate piece,

Busysbox is a multi-binary. It contains code for many tools from a
general Linux distribution except that they are stripped-down. It is
like a jack-knife. Normally when you execute a command, you just specify
the command, example links to launch links, lynx to launch lynx. With
busbsybox you need to specify the command AND the sub-command you want
to execute. Otherwise busybox does not know which one you want as it has
so many.

> it is supposedly available in some other Slackware package (fileutils?).
ftp://ftp.eunet.be/pub/linux/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/a |
| /util-linux-2.11z-i386-1.txt

util-linux: util-linux (a huge collection of essential utilities)
util-linux:
util-linux: adjtimex agetty arch blockdev cal cfdisk chkdupexe clear
clock col
util-linux: colcrt colrm column ctrlaltdel cytune ddate dmesg
dnsdomainname
util-linux: domainname elvtune fdformat fdisk fsck.cramfs fsck.minix
getopt
util-linux: getoptprog hexdump hostname hwclock ipcrm ipcs isosize
jaztool line
util-linux: logger look losetup mcookie mesg mkfs mkfs.bfs mkfs.cramfs
mkfs.miniutil-linux: mkswap more mount namei nisdomainname pg pivot_root
ramsize raw rdevutil-linux: readprofile rename renice reset rev
rootflags script setfdprm
util-linux: setserial setsid setterm sfdisk sln strings swapoff swapon
tput tuneutil-linux: ul umount update vidmode wall whereis write
ypdomainname ziptool

It is called arch, as above.

Alternatively, you can download this package instaed:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/utils/package/unrpm-install-51.libc6.tar.gz

The following is the busybox package from debian and the zgv package
from rootlinux:

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/busybox/busybox_0.60.5-2_i386.deb
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/rootlinux/rootlinux-unstable/i586/files/rl/pkgs/opt/zgv#5.6-1.pkg.tar.gz

> The photopc software for our 1995 Epson digital camera is compiled for
> Debian but not for Slackware.

I suppose you should how to extract in this case?