baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packaging and ar and mknod

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packaging and ar and mknod
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 19:34:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 4 May 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:
> >
> > I have downloaded MANIFEST.gz and installed less.
> > I tried to use zless but am told I don't have it.
>
> I'm surprised you don't have zless. It is part of
> bin.tgz (which is one of the packages used to install
> BasicLinux to HD). It should be in /usr/bin.

It is not there. Maybe I did not install bin.tgz? How would I check?
I found zcat zgrep zdiff zforce znew in /usr/bin/

I can type zcat MANIFEST.gz |less to get a page-by-page listing of
MANIFEST.gz. When I use your other suggestion of zcat and grep to just
search for the one file name it lists where it is supposed to end up but
not what package it came from.

> zless is just a simple script:
> --------------
> zcat $1 | less
> --------------
> So, if it is missing, you can easily add it yourself
> (perhaps as an alias).

Or just type zcat filename |less.

> Actually, it's strange that zless is in the bin.tgz
> package. zless only works when less is installed,
> so IMHO it should be in the less package.
It was not there either.

> > ar -x photopc.deb
> > It produceed a very small file debian-binary.
> > And a control.tar.gz.
> > And a data.tar.gz.
> >
> > installpkg data.tar.gz
>
> The installpkg (and pkgtool) is *only* suitable for
> Slackware packages. Slackware packages come as .tgz
> files, but that does not mean any .tgz can be installed
> with installpkg.

It worked for this one anyway.
/usr/bin/photopc
/usr/share/doc/photopc
Probably also the man page and other related pages are in the right
places. I just need to uninstall and reinstall as photopc.tar.gz
instead of data.tar.gz so I can keep better track of photopc.

I had read somewhere on line that if you use ar with .deb files
the data.tar.gz file will be in a format that Slackware can use.

Installpkg seems to work with .tar.gz as well a .gz

> > I typed photopc and got a message that I don't have a
> > /dev/photopc.
>
> That's not a standard /dev (not even in Slackware 8.1).
> Perhaps, it is included somewhere in the Debian package?
>
> > How do I make a /dev/photopc so I can plug into Com1?
> > I got as far as:
> > mknod /dev/photopc type major minor
>
> You are on the right track. You just need to find the
> major/minor numbers (perhaps google will find something).

Maybe there is something at the photopc website.

> > Type should be b for block or c for character. ??
>
> Probably c
>
> > It says to use MAKEDEV shell script to find out the number
>
> That only works if photopc has been pre-programmed into
> MAKEDEV.
>
> > but I doubt that BL2 comes with that.
>
> It's in the Slackware devs.tgz package.

Can I make a link between /dev/photopc and /dev/ttyS0 instead?
You can do that for /dev/mouse.

> > The latest pdftotext from Doug Kaufman (static) does not
> > seem to have any dependencies. I need a pdf file to test
> > it on. It is about 900K.
>
> Sounds good. Is there a URL for it?

It is posted at Doug's site for private use only. I don't know
if this is one he compiled or one he got from the xpdf at foolabs
and stripped. 387K .gz file. I have asked his permission to share
it and if (probably when) he says yes can you post it for basiclinux?
It is working perfectly by itself and with lynx as a downloader.
The xpdftotext part of xpdf from foolabs should work the same way
even if Doug did not use it because he would have compiled from their
source code. He stripped it to make it 900K instead of 1.7M.

> > What do the numbers on top of the columns in top mean?
>
> man top
>
> > I loaded varous things and looked at RSS.
> > links219 X is 544 but then you have to add to that
> > 2434 xvga15 (or 2172 xmono)
> > 1892 xterm
> > 768 xinit
> > 1212 icewm (or 708 ratpoison)
> >
> > The total is then 6848,
>
> It's not that simple. Those processes overlap -- there
> are sections of code that are used by more than one process
> (this is shown in the SHARE column). So, to see the real
> memory load, you subtract SHARE from RSS. For example on
> my system, icewm has RSS 1164 and SHARE 924 -- so the load
> from icewm is 240kb.

I see at the top (when I do top) 7004K shrd - is this SHARE?
Ratpoison is 700K. I cannot subtract 7004K from that.
There is no SHARE column. Maybe it has gone the way of the icewm
penguin?

Shared is 6672 (when running 'free'). Can't subtract that either.

I also don't know how to interpret the columns from 'free'.
So far 'swap' has remained 0. I have 32M RAM. Most of it seems to be
used as cache.

I will attempt again to make some sense of the top man file.