baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packaging and ar and binutils

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packaging and ar and binutils
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 10:34:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 May 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:
> >
> > Do you recommend anything else in particular from these
> > two packages? (bin and binutils)
>
> The most important binary in bin.tgz is sed.
I have never used sed. If I need it I will get it.

> If you don't install bin.tgz, pkgtool malfunctions.
> Perhaps you didn't notice the error messages when you
> un-install a package.

I don't use pkgtool to uninstall. I type removepkg.
I used pkgtool only just now to see what had been installed in bin.
There are probably several ways to do this without pkgtool, such as
looking in the bin package directly /var/log/packages/bin

Pkgtool is designed to be readable only in color. I use mono.
I don't like guis anyway. They are slower and more confusing to use.
They tend to be designed around mice, with buttons. I don't use mice.

What file does pkgtool want from bin.tgz?