baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packaging and ar and binutils

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packaging and ar and binutils
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 21:33:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 May 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:
> >
> > > ----------------------
> > > pkgtool -> View -> bin
> > > ----------------------
> >
> > bin is not there
>
> Then you have not installed bin.tgz.

I meant to say bin is there but binutils (with ar) is not there.

zless is in bin.tgz. You should have bin.tgz.

I have bin, I don't have zless.

------------------

> > Photopc is no longer complaining about no /dev/photopc.
>
> It is no longer complaining because that dev now
> exists. Whether that dev is correct is a different
> question.

We will try a camera download soon, via fd0

> as long as X thinks the mouse is on com1, nothing else should go on that
> port.

But if I am not using X I can plug the camera into that port.

> > I think I read that the Slackware .tgz format is just
> > an ordinary archive,
>
> No, it isn't.

Well, what came out of the Debian package was usable by Slackware. Maybe
what I read was that Debian just adds one more layer to a Slackware
package. It installed okay.

> Are those the only files in /var/log/packages? (screen39 and seejpeg)
> If so, something is seriously wrong with your installation.

No, I have all the other files needed to install to hard drive and to
install X. I did not list them all, these were examples. Linux would not
work for me if those were the only files installed ;)

> > Is there some equally easy way to unpackage rpm files
>
> The bin.tgz package (which should be there) contains rpm2tgz.
> I don't know how it works -- I have never used it.

I have in /var/log/packages the package bin.
I do NOT have zless or rpm2tgz.
Pkgtool, View bin: only file it installed is /usr/bin/indent.
I will download the package again and reinstall again.
(No, I did not use Wizlynx).

Bin cannot be that important if I did not need it until now.
I wonder why they put rpm2tgz (to extract Redhat packages) into bin.tgz
and ar (to extract Debian packages) into binutils.tgz.

> > So how do we determine how much RAM individual programs
> > are using in BL2?
>
> If that aspect of top is important to you, you should
> install the full top from Slackware 7.1.
I may do that, thanks.

> > logged in and typed free:
> > Total 30920 (why not 32M?)
>
> The kernel is occupying the rest.
>
> > Used 21748
> > Free 9172
> > Shared 14840
> > Buffers 344
> > Swap 0 used
> >
> > Do I subtract shared from used to get actual memory
> > usage (7M)?
>
> No.
So can I use free to compare memory usage?

> > Are there encrypted pdf files that we need to be
> > able to extract from?
>
> The manual for my motherboard (which I download from
> the ASUS site) was an encryped pdf.

Ghostscript for DOS would not decode encrypted pdf files unless you added
another piece to it. But you could use pdftops and then read the ps
without encrypting. My motherboard manual (from Taiwan) was also
encrypted, I have no idea why.