sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:00:11 +0100

Am Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:36:31 +0100 (CET)
schrieb Geoffroy GIRAUX <geogiraux AT yahoo.fr>:

> improvements regarding the menu, as an end user. I still missed for instance
> the ability to see the console output before going back to the menu to
> check if
> everything went OK.

I'll sing that in bold: I want the control and the information: One needs
access to the console output...simplest possibility woud be to dedicate a vt
for that (chvt x; do shell stuff; chvt 1) or more controlly, pipe output to
log file that one can tail -f on a different vt.

> Yet the smgl team still deserve a great thanks for all this work...

Of course: I wouldn't have done 4 installs in a few days (different machines,
of course;-) if I wouldn't like it overall.

> bash scripts). Besides, the interface is half-guided and its aspect remains
> whatever the output (console, xterm, ssh, telnet...) As far as i've
> understood

I wouldn't want to change that. Of course I want to do all the stuff through
ssh... If you think that dialog-style menus are breaking this, well, It's not
primarily the shape of the interface but non-linearity (ability to go back
some questions), which I'm after.

> it, the main goal of the smgl distro was never the end user (which of course
> doesn't mean smgl has to be elitist or anything like that...)

Oh, I really hope that end users will work with it: I just installed a SMGL
for an end user (really no UNIX expert). He should use it, I do the
installation and configuration (that would be the better way with other
distros which _claim_ to be easy to administer, too, I think). He may even do
the system updates eventuall since...

> What I'm thinking about is that all this questions are asked once, and
> answers
> are remembered for the next cast. So are these features really worth of a
> long
> developpment for just one cast, the first one ? Or am I wrong about this
> sorcery feature ?

...after the first cast my answers should be remembered. You're right here,
but when you do an install every day..

> My 2 euros :)

In my pocket;-)

Thomas.