sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • Cc: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:56:31 +0100

Not really. I don't see the advantage there. `cast spell` or even some `gaze search` before that does the job more comfortable than selecting in the menu from all possible spells. But for sure I'd prefer the menu over getting a yes/no question for every possible spell!

I just have read all this thread and I have to agree with "users" that so much questions is very uncomfortable.
I also do not like them (user's view). When I do not have time I usually after "sorcery system-update" just several times (30-40 :-)) press the Enter.
When all is done I just look last lines and of course log file. If there is some problem I just cast particular spells, of course with attention now.

It could be fine if answers could be used globally for all spells. If I install xorg I certainly will not install xfree86 and questions about it are useless until I have some problems. If I install jpeg or libpng I certainly want all spells to use them. Why all graphics spells should ask if I really want use jpeg or libpng (optional_depends)?
Of course I know it is great if I can turn off the jpeg support if there are some problems but users certainly do not try it.

I know we have "sorcery default". It could be improved and combined with cast (questions).
User just choose xorg for the first time and spells will not ask next times if he/she do not want to use xdirectfb, xfree86, xfree86-4.3, xfree86-devel, xfree86-libs or xorg.
It could be fine if we had default configurations, default options and user after installation only run "cast default-kde or default-gnome, ..." and absolutelly NO questions. :-)
Users certainly appreciate it.

And about menuconfig, I like this idea. Of course it is very difficult/impossible to implement it.
I want one my student to create small www interface to sorcery (I had the similar idea as menuconfig) but for now it is only sci-fi (he is very busy or lazy, I do not know :-)).

--
Ladislav Hagara