sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:22:59 +0100

Thomas Orgis wrote :

> > I really don't think a menuconfig style menu is a good thing...
> >

> At all? In general? (Do you edit your kernel's config file per hand or
> answer
> manually y/n/m to all options on the command line prompt?)
> I don't like to be forced to use huge menus on every occasion, but I do like
> them when there is cleary a benefit in usability for me.

Well for spells I don't see any gain... hindarance at most...

I ussualy do sorcery exile spells and set some defaults on a new box
and then just cast everything in one go and go to sleep and debug what breaks
in the morning. That way I don't have to sit around waiting for questions.

For linux I acctually use menuconfig but I don't use the spell. That menu
is just to confusing for me. And I think that's about the type of a menu that
a normal spell would have to have.

> For locales, I'd find it really annoying to say yes/no to every possible
> one compared to just selecting the few I want in a simple choice menu. On
> the other side, I won't see any advantage in turning every yes/no question
> into a menu with yes and no buttons.

True some stuff should be scriptable into a menu but it's up to the spell
maker
to do so. And imho dependencies aren't such. And most 2-3 line CONFIGURE files
shouldn't be turned into a 50 line CONFIGURE file(no clue how much menuing it
would
take).

> > Imho nothing wrong with writting the extension as long as it doesn't break
> > anything current.
>
> Of course I'd like not to break anything current and also there could be a
> configuration option (whereever) to let the menus appear as menus or as a
> series of questions.

Well _*IF*_ it could be done it should be done to give choice to the user
and developer on how it should be used.

--
Andrew "ruskie" Levstik

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html

Key id = 9A5117F8
Key fingerprint = 6731 FEF2 99A8 4672 5962 69AB 3DAF DA67 9A51 17F8