sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 04:40:44 +0100

Am Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:08:36 -0800
schrieb Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:

> 1) if you use test grimoire you will run into issues

Yes, as I did after my first `scribe add test` (not realizing that test now
is front-row default).

> 2) if you use stable grimoire and use a test grimoire spell you will run
> into issues

But I experienced enough issues so far with using stable - some of the easily
fixed by using the test version.

> 3) stable grimoire, all alone, is the preferred grimoire for normal
> users.

Still wondering who qualifies as "normal user" among SMGLers;-)

> If there are bugs in there file them immediately.

I have currently 7 bugs filed (the last one really looks severe: console font
switching completely broken - consolechars just segfaults on the three
machines I tried to use it on; that even affects the installation iso - did
anyone actually manage to change the console font?).
I'm considering adding more, p.ex. the openoffice spell (both stable and
test) casting gcc33 but letting it rot in /opt/gcc3 and use the standard
gcc34 for compilation, which fails horribly. With /opt/gcc33 in front of PATH
it actually succeeds (but taking well over 4 hours on a 2GHz machine - way
more than _anything_ else (p.ex. kde together with X and maybe glibc, too,
when we're at it)).

> to help, use stable-rc to help test. Don't use test grimoire to help
> test, they are actually "WIP", "devel", "test", "stable" to end users
> even though we call them devel, test, stable-rc, stable. Only
> developers know the grimoire names by their true names. ;)

What? Should this make sense to me? Just tried to look at stable-rc ... but
why does the gpg signature fail? Since we settled that spells are hellish
dangerous in being able to do everything, should I trust that one?

Nevertheless, for sure there is some wiki page or so explaining these
confusing new facts. Before getting into that, I'll try to help me, though,
to get a work system up for once and actually work with it. I did so many
installs in the last few days while the main productive part took place with
writing eMails on my very custom LinuxFromScratch-powered Notebook (apart
from doing my study/work on the same machine, of course).

Thomas.