sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:16:02 +0100

Am Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:05:57 +0100
schrieb "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>:

> I thought this was being worked on long term goal to have build being done
> as a lower
> privlege user and only install as root.

Would indeed help a global non-linear menu... I would be calming to be sure
that the system cannot be touched during configuration (so runnnig and
rerunning of CONFIGUREs won't hurt big time even if it doesn't work out). But
I dropped the _global_ menu approach for now anyways.

> I really don't think a menuconfig style menu is a good thing...

At all? In general? (Do you edit your kernel's config file per hand or answer
manually y/n/m to all options on the command line prompt?)
I don't like to be forced to use huge menus on every occasion, but I do like
them when there is cleary a benefit in usability for me.
For locales, I'd find it really annoying to say yes/no to every possible one
compared to just selecting the few I want in a simple choice menu. On the
other side, I won't see any advantage in turning every yes/no question into a
menu with yes and no buttons.

> Imho nothing wrong with writting the extension as long as it doesn't break
> anything current.

Of course I'd like not to break anything current and also there could be a
configuration option (whereever) to let the menus appear as menus or as a
series of questions.

> You did try using the sorcery interface to cast spells
> though did you not?

Not really. I don't see the advantage there. `cast spell` or even some `gaze
search` before that does the job more comfortable than selecting in the menu
from all possible spells. But for sure I'd prefer the menu over getting a
yes/no question for every possible spell!

Thomas.