sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Geoffroy GIRAUX <geogiraux AT yahoo.fr>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:36:31 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

First I apologize for not reading the whole thread, which is huge and
sometimes
beyond my comprehension (describing new features by mail IS a pretty difficult
work). So here's another user's point of view regarding installation and the
cast scheme :

I've just installed the 0.9.5 ISO (but I couldn't complete the process as I
currently have no Internet) and it seemed to be OK. I really liked the
cast/dispell of optionnal spells, but to tell the truth, I was a little bit
disappointed by the 'brand new' installation process. I absolutely don't want
to dispraise all the hard work behind the scene, but I just saw a few
improvements regarding the menu, as an end user. I still missed for instance
the ability to see the console output before going back to the menu to check
if
everything went OK.

Yet the smgl team still deserve a great thanks for all this work...

I agree with the uncomfortable aspect of the questions during cast... but I
eventually came to the opinion it IS actually a killer-interface ; what i
really like in sourcemage, after the control I have on my installation, is the
fact I can understand what's happening at any time (magic of efficient
'simple'
bash scripts). Besides, the interface is half-guided and its aspect remains
whatever the output (console, xterm, ssh, telnet...) As far as i've understood
it, the main goal of the smgl distro was never the end user (which of course
doesn't mean smgl has to be elitist or anything like that...)

I don't fully agree with Ladislav regarding smgl able to anticipate one's
answers, like "libpng is installed so I want to use it" or "i'm using xorg so
don't want to be bothered with questions regarding X11-SERVER or X11-LIBS"...
think such choices, which SEEM simple, are specific to each user and cannot be
easily automated : always use this particular library ? with all the apps that
optionnaly require it ? what if i want testing a new app I'm writing ?
To my opinion, answering these questions requires the understanding of what
the
user wants to do with his distro... which is kind of AI ! Maybe smgl could use
a default choice based on a standard user's behaviour ?

What I'm thinking about is that all this questions are asked once, and answers
are remembered for the next cast. So are these features really worth of a long
developpment for just one cast, the first one ? Or am I wrong about this
sorcery feature ?

My 2 euros :)
GeO

Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez les tarifs
exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international.