sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:55:33 +0100

Am Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:47:15 -0800
schrieb Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:

> > Cast again: some anwsers for spells M<N are remembered non-promptly and
> > some promptly... by that may be the spells doing stuff on their own as
> > hinted in another mail...
>
> I would suggest a different word than 'promptly', that has a different
> meaning in english than i think you intend.

Oh, yes, I mean promptly ~ with prompt = asking for input... promptly perhaps
does just mean what "prompt" does in german...

> eg it might be nice to build espgs
> with xorg for enhanced documentation, but xorg is fine without it.

> *real*
> circular dependencies are exceedingly rare in practice. Hance 'suggests'.

Are there any other *real* ones than a compiler needing a compiler (and
linker...)?

> A dependency implies that 1) the spell should be built if it isnt
> installed already, and 2) an ordering between the parent and
> child. 'Suggests' would be a convenient api to do the first without
> the second.

Ah, I just peeked at the bug report for suggests and yes, it makes sense to
me... is the dependency of xorg on epsgs really just of this type? You don't
need ghostscript to _build_ the documentation but only to effectively use
(read, print, ...) it?

Probably it's the same for cups and samba... (only one of them - if any -
really needing the other to build the interoperatibility in).

I would have painfully noted more "real" circular dependencies with the
manual builds on my LFS systems if these apparent circles aren't nearly all
of the type that could be fixed by using suggests. So, if this feature
existed and would be used by the concerned spells, that would be great and
probably fully sufficient.

Thomas.