sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • Cc: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] menuconfig for casts
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:00:27 -0800

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 04:40:44AM +0100, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> Am Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:08:36 -0800
> schrieb Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:
>
> > 1) if you use test grimoire you will run into issues
>
> Yes, as I did after my first `scribe add test` (not realizing that
> test now is front-row default).
>
> > 2) if you use stable grimoire and use a test grimoire spell you will
> > run into issues
>
> But I experienced enough issues so far with using stable - some of the
> easily fixed by using the test version.

There are bugs in stable that will be fixed as we find them. The new
testing process hasn't been in place for long enough to totally weed out
all the bugs. If you'd like to join the QA team I can give you a long
discussion in IRC with details about the process and what we're doing to
improve it.

> > 3) stable grimoire, all alone, is the preferred grimoire for normal
> > users.
>
> Still wondering who qualifies as "normal user" among SMGLers;-)

sysadmins who aren't directly developing it. Our "normal user" category
has a rather high bar for passing.

> > If there are bugs in there file them immediately.
>
> I have currently 7 bugs filed (the last one really looks severe:
> console font switching completely broken - consolechars just segfaults
> on the three machines I tried to use it on; that even affects the
> installation iso - did anyone actually manage to change the console
> font?).
>
> I'm considering adding more, p.ex. the openoffice spell (both stable
> and test) casting gcc33 but letting it rot in /opt/gcc3 and use the
> standard gcc34 for compilation, which fails horribly. With /opt/gcc33
> in front of PATH it actually succeeds (but taking well over 4 hours on
> a 2GHz machine - way more than _anything_ else (p.ex. kde together
> with X and maybe glibc, too, when we're at it)).

openoffice is not yet part of our standard testing process, mainly
because it takes so long to build. The gcc versioning has undergone
quite some discussion lately, which I can talk to you about in IRC in
detail.

Is consolechars fixed with test or stable-rc?

> > to help, use stable-rc to help test. Don't use test grimoire to help
> > test, they are actually "WIP", "devel", "test", "stable" to end users
> > even though we call them devel, test, stable-rc, stable. Only
> > developers know the grimoire names by their true names. ;)
>
> What? Should this make sense to me? Just tried to look at stable-rc
> ... but why does the gpg signature fail?

Try updating sorcery-pubkeys, as it has the new stable-rc public key.

> Since we settled that spells are hellish dangerous in being able to do
> everything, should I trust that one?

update sorcery-pubkeys from stable grimoire, then try updating stable-rc
grimoire, it should pass.

> Nevertheless, for sure there is some wiki page or so explaining these
> confusing new facts. Before getting into that, I'll try to help me,
> though, to get a work system up for once and actually work with it. I
> did so many installs in the last few days while the main productive
> part took place with writing eMails on my very custom
> LinuxFromScratch-powered Notebook (apart from doing my study/work on
> the same machine, of course).

Gotta run now, if you try me in IRC sometime, I'll be able to give you a
lot more detail than over email.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Key id 63C1E02F = E07A FB0E 5925 CE4A 6526 2AD5 1782 FEC2 63C1 E02F